[ORRando] Banks Elsie Preride

Ken Mattina ken.mattina at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 15:27:04 PDT 2013

Hi All,

I rode the Banks Elsie brevet preride yesterday with Ray.

It was a fairly unremarkable ride on a very nice route.

The Banks Vernonia Trail is a real gem with just a couple of small
issues.  There are several sections where the tree roots have damaged
the trail.  This isn't a problem for me because I'm riding on 38mm
tires.  For those of you who are riding on 23mm tires,  don't forget
to pay attention to the trail.

Whether ascending to Vernonia in the early morning, or descending to
Banks in the evening, it gets really cold on the trail.  You'll be
happier if you have extra layers.

The route is mostly low traffic. No construction.  Route 202 is
probably familiar to everyone.

Ray has added a control at my all time favorite place to stop: the
Jewell Elk Refuge.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/visitors/jewell_meadows_wildlife_area.asp

The control at the halfway point is Baker's General Store in Elsie.
They have a really nice bakery.

The manager told me that she was worried that they would run out of
food during the brevet. She gave me her card and asked that I call her
with the number of cyclists and how much I thought that they'd eat.

Anything you want me to pass on to her?

Ken

--
Where did the spring go?