[ORRando] Season for Sharing -- my experiences with several cycling products

Ken Bonner kenbonner at telus.net
Mon Dec 12 16:31:52 PST 2011

Hi!

Over the last few years, I have been cycling about 25,000 - 30,000 km. per
year (about the same mileage as I drive!)   Distances vary from 160 km. to
1200 km. on any one ride.  Anything I use receives a good work-out! J   I
ride my old 2nd hand Apollo Imperial light steel racing bike (has about a
total of 30,000 k on it) for errands where I don't care if the bike is
stolen.  I use my aluminum Klein Performance touring frame bike (total of
about 100,000 k on it) for towing my grandchildren around in the bike
trailer - good training, especially up-hill!); my titanium Litespeed (with
about 200,000 k on it) is mainly my rainy-day bike; and my two year old
custom-built titanium bike produced by BERG bikes http://www.bergbikes.info/
Youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gi2UnEnn_w     is now
approaching 50,000 km. and it is still my 'go-to' bike - I wish I had
purchased a custom-built bike long ago!

Below are some cycling products I have found useful (I won't mention the
'less than useful' ones!     This is just some learning I have picked up
from my particular style of cycling.  What works for me, won't necessarily
work for you.  But who knows, I have learned what works or doesn't work from
a wide variety of cyclists who ride shorter, slower and on different types
of cycles . you only stop learning when you are dead (and for some folks,
learning is infinite, as death is only a state of the body, not the mind).

Canadian product   Arkel TailRider & Randonneur Rack
<http://www.arkel-od.com/> http://www.arkel-od.com/

Both Arkel's TailRider rear rack bag and their quick-release seat-seat post
rear rack are terrific.  The TailRider works on any rear rack and you have
probably seen many cyclists use it.  It has a unique, stream-lined profile
with many pockets and compartments inside and outside the bag in which to
store gear.  Bulky items like jackets can be carried under the adjustable
carrying handle, although the inside storage has a large capacity.  Four
sturdy reflective Velcro straps hold the bag securely to the rack.  There is
an integrated rain-cover which I have never had to use.  Access to the
inside compartments is easy . just unzip sturdy zippers on each side of the
bag and, 'voila!, the whole contents are seen at a glance and extremely
accessible.  Built to last!

The Arkel Randonneur Rear Quick Release Rack (steel)  makes switching rear
racks from  one bike to another very easy.  youtube :
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIe46jSB5kA>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIe46jSB5kA The quick release snaps onto the
seat rails and then is cantilevered against the seatpost and fastened with a
Velcro strap.  Very simple to use.  For folks like me who brush their leg
against the rack bag when mounting or dismounting the bicycle, Arkel
includes an extension adaptor kit which lowers the height of the rear rack
by about 7 inches.    This is a very stable rack-I used it with a lot of
weight in it on the unsupported Oregon Glacier 1000k brevet last year.  No
side way or vertical movement, although I could definitely feel the beyond
recommended weight of my supplies on the up-hills (probably helped reach 50
mph on some downhills, also!)

Sugoi Products   <http://www.sugoi.com/can/?athleteID=12>
http://www.sugoi.com/can/?athleteID=12

I've used Sugoi cycling/running clothing for a long time, along with a lot
of other clothing products from other manufacturers.   I like the top-end
Sugoi tights and cycling shorts. RSE Shorts and Firewall 220 tights.  I
suppose I could use other brands, but why change something that works!
Hint:  I used to wear out the between the legs portion of perfectly good
tights . I solved the problem by wearing an extra pair of old cycling shorts
over the tights.   The tights now last forever

American Product:

BodyGlide/ChamoisGlide/Liquified Powder  <http://www.bodyglide.com/>
http://www.bodyglide.com/

Several years ago, after experimenting with a large bag full of gels,
creams, balms, diaper rash ointment, and yes, even burn bandages, I stumbled
across BodyGlide in my local running store in Victoria.  At the time I was
trying to alleviate painful running friction sores on my inner thighs.
ChamoisGlide is made to assist with preventing saddle sores. BodyGlide is
for any friction soreness.   I have used both and they work equally well,
although the ChamoisGlide seems to be a little softer and applies a little
easier.  ChamoisGlide also has an ingredient which is supposed to cover the
odour from smelly shorts, but I don't think I smell too good after long
rides at the best of timesJ  In addition to its effectiveness for preventing
saddle sores, I like the fact that Chamois & Body Glide both are sanitary to
apply.  They come in what looks like a deodorant package and use the
packaging to apply the solid product. No messy hands and fingers!   The
Liquified Powder comes in a tube, or individual travel packs.  The travel
packs are light and easy to use, just tear off the end, and squeeze onto
ones cycling shorts, spread the product with the travel pack package.

For me, I apply ChamoisGlide to my shorts the night before riding and then
re-apply to the shorts just before the ride.  Also, just before the ride, I
apply it to my 'nether-parts'.  On rides over 200k, I re-apply either
ChamoisGlide or Liquified Powder to my shorts about every 100 km.

Interestingly, I rarely find BodyGlide/ChamoisGlide/Liquified Powder in
cycling stores.   My local running store, FrontRunners carries the whole
line of BodyGlide products in all sizes.

German Product:

Continental 4 Season tires (tyres).
<http://www.distancebiker.com/store/index.php/sale/b4252.html>
http://www.distancebiker.com/store/index.php/sale/b4252.html  This link will
take you to American randonneur, Richard Stum's business website.  He also
has a great deal of detail about Conti 4 Season tires.    Conti 4 Season
tires are light and reasonably puncture-proof.  I have been using them for
years.  I've had nails & sharp rocks puncture brand new Conti 4 Season
tires, but generally, it is rare for me to have a flat.  Using other brands,
I used to have many flats.  The 4 Seasons come in sizes up to 28 mm wide.  I
use 25 mm tires.

French Product:

Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels
http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/road-triathlon/wheels/Ksyrium-SL

I've used Mavic Ksyrium SL low-spoke count, bladed wheels since they first
came on the market.   They are tough wheels.  Unfortunately, to my knowledge
no one makes hub generators for them.  The spokes rarely break, and when
they do, they are easily replaced (except for the rear drive side) without
taking the wheel apart.  Just unscrew the spoke-fastener using the special
plastic tools which come with the wheel-sets and insert a new one.  Since
these are not common spokes, I carry two replacement spokes for each of the
front, non-drive & drive sides of the rear wheel.  I don't carry a tool to
take off the cog-set to access the rear drive side spokes, but I have found
that by releasing the pressure on either side of the broken spoke (remove
it) the Ksyrium wheel will come back to almost true.  I've completed 200k
with a broken rear drive-side spoke.   In the last 100k of the 2007 PBP, I
decided to use a conventionally-spoked rear wheel because of a concern about
a broken spoke.   Well, I was side-lined for some considerable time until a
PBP official found me and whisked me off to a mechanic.  The
conventionally-spoked Mavic wheel broke a spoke and immediately pretzled so
badly that it was frozen between the rear stays!!

Tracking your mileage:

Track your annual mileage against other cyclists across North America!

Sign up for the Canadian Kilometre Achievers Program (CKAP) annual mileage
challenge:   application and other information at -- http://www.ckap.ca/
(Every kilometer you cycle can be counted . honour system) - if you are 50
or over, you can also count your last year's annual mileage

AND/OR,

JOIN THE ULTRA MARATHON CYCLING ASSOCIATION (UMCA) and participate in their
various ultracycling programs (also a great website for training
information).  The UMCA Year-Rounder is a fun program to help stay focused
while riding centuries.   <http://www.ultracycling.com/>
http://www.ultracycling.com/

(Minimum trip distance counted is 90 miles . some verification required)

And finally,  if you have not already done so, don't forget to purchase John
Hughes' Distance Cycling
http://www.amazon.com/Distance-Cycling-John-Hughes/dp/0736089241

All the Best for the upcoming Winter Festival Season .  Ken

Ken Bonner (RUSA #894; UMCA #1698; CKAP #1255; BC Randonneur #219)

2609 Orchard Avenue

Victoria, British Columbia

V8S 3B2

CANADA