[ORRando] New Cycle Tour Company

David Strong djstrong at fwcm.com
Mon Dec 21 09:54:46 PST 2009

Hi All,
There are very few cycle touring companies which cater to cyclists who are
looking for new destinations and challenging tours.  Erikson for European
tours in the Alps, Dolomites, and Pyrenees (a few other destinations in
Europe too) is fabulous.
I was reading Laura Stone's book on cycling in the Himalaya when it came out
last year (a must read, in the Trailblazer series, a great publisher out of
the UK, cannot recommend their books more highly), and was dreaming of new
cycling destinations.  After searching unsuccessfully for a tour operator
that had trips 2+ weeks long with good days in the saddle, which took the
better part of 2008, I decided to try to contact Laura, to see if she might
lead a tour.  I discovered her email on a blog she kept of a trip she took
in Central Asia, and wrote to her.  To my pleasant surprise, she replied and
stated that she had launched with her Husband, Joe Mearns a company,
Greenrock, www.greenrock.co.uk
They go to places in Europe and Asia, from Norway, to Bhutan, are a couple
of the most experienced & knowledgeable cycle tourers around, and should
make for great trips.  For those interested in the Tour de France, they have
researched all the old routes, and put together their "Tour de France",
which will be held in September, 25 days, average daily distances of 112
miles, almost 3000 miles including the Pyrenees, Maritime Alps, and Alps,
should be a blast.
Happy Holidays,

David