[OrRando] Insoles?

Kamp, David david.kamp at hp.com
Thu May 31 10:17:00 PDT 2007

More on discomfort on the bike:

Well most of my learning about management of contact points on the
bicycle comes from Lon Haldeman, who has been across the country a few
times at high speed.  He uses a Brooks B17 saddle and Look cleats on
some retro looking road shoes with those cleats placed 'way back as
mentioned in a previous post.  (Definition of a randonneur/randonneuse:
one who buys a 17 pound bike and puts a 2 pound saddle on it.)  I looked
inside his shoes when he was talking about the cleat placement and there
were no insoles, just some worn leatherish looking liners.

When queried about RAAM style chamois he said for his tandem records
(mixed and two men) he wore "teddy bear" fleece chamois, made by a
friend.  It was a polypro fleece that of course compressed over the
course of a day and had to be washed and fluffed up.  The chamois did
not wear well, and was used only for the ultramarathon stuff he did back
in the day.  That fleece, if you think about it, would provide millions
of little fiber cushions, allowing air to circulate and offering some
"springiness" on a micro scale.  Probably also dealt with friction by
"giving" just enough.  Well, so isn't that a soft saddle, so to speak?

Lon maintains that one doesn't put in "butt miles" to deal with saddle
pressure discomfort, rather "leg miles".  With strong legs one is
pushing the ischial tuberosities off contact by perhaps fractions of a
millimeter every pedal stroke, allowing blood to flow and tissue to
recover.  He thinks that gel saddles move around too much, don't allow
one to come up off the saddle that tiny increment, and what he likes is
NO movement other than what he chooses to impart.  Bear in mind Lon
Haldeman has hugely powerful legs, with large muscles.  He's a big
fellow to boot, so he supports quite a load.  He pushes that load
vertically a tiny amount with each stroke.  Further, he reminded us,
some of the pressure discomfort can be alleviated by lowering the
saddle.  Sure it rides lower than "spec", but if it works, isn't that
the appropriate height?

Pete Penseyeres (sp?) and Fred Matheny are also hard saddle proponents
for the reasons cited in the post.  Now, perhaps the female cyclist with
slightly different pelvic structure than the male counterpart, responds
to the hard leather saddles differently.  When Pete did his record-speed
RAAM he commented, "Nothing hurt.  If it did, I wouldn't have been able
to go as fast."

The important conclusion of all this is that, as Lon says, experiment.
You can listen to others, but you have to go with what works for you,
determined by experimentation.  I rode gel and other soft materials for
years before joining the Brooks culture, and would never go back.

Anyone who completes RAAM should be speaking with authority about what
works (for them), and ought to command  some attention.  Based on
Susan's remarks I'm going to try one of those old Terry gels, one that
still has the gel mostly in its original place.

David Kamp