[OrRando] Rando History [Was: Nutrition]

Andrew P. Black apblack at ownmail.net
Thu May 24 13:42:39 PDT 2007

Really Joel, it was just an excuse to post the picture.

>> http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~black/Photos/Classic%20Bikes/Classic%
>> 20Bikes-Pages/Image1.html

Note that in addition to the two gears (they were both fixed when I
saw the bike, but many years ago one or both might have been free!),
this bike is also equipped with wing nuts: pre-quick release days.

On 24 May 2007, at 07:01, joel metz wrote:

> actually, no, cause the "founder" of rando, in many ways, velocio,
> was an earyl proponent of them, and the "cyclotouristes" and
> "touriste-routiers" of french cycling adopted them as early as they
> were available :)
>
> it was racers who waited until the 40s to "reinvent" that which was
> already available to them :)

I thought that a racer did invent the Quick Release: Tullio
Campagnolo patented it in 1930, after a famous episode in 1927 at the
top of the Croce d'Aune Pass (in the snow) when his hands were too
frozen to loosen the wing nuts that held his rear wheel.

So, who /did/ invent the derailleur?  I thought that Tullio's "Cambio
a bacchetta" dated from around 1930, and that the derailleur as we
know it was also a Campagnolo invention sometime in the 30s — but I'm
willing to be corrected.

	Andrew