[OrRando] Nutrition

Kamp, David david.kamp at hp.com
Tue May 22 16:46:08 PDT 2007

I'll weigh in on Hammer Nutrition products.  Sustained Energy has
carbohydrate and soy protein, with no simple sugars, no fructose.  It is
unflavored and you can add Hammer HEED or Hammer gel to provide flavor.
Both additives have no simple sugars either.  Lon Haldeman provided
Sustained Energy at his PAC Tour Desert Camp this year and it worked
fine on the 200 and 300 Km brevets that I rode.  You can make up a very
concentrated bottle and supplement sips with water from a hydration pack
or second bottle.  Lon commented that when you're on your tenth bottle
for the day unflavored drinks are preferred.  Tenth bottle?  Only a
trans-am geek would be consuming at that level.  On the 200 Km I used
two bottles, three scoops of SE, 323 kcal each.  Of course I really hit
the groceries at the convenience stores, what few there were.

I use Hammer Nutrition products in ultramarathon running, both training
and racing.

Spitzerinctum is used by several ultra cyclists in the Davis Bike Club.
I like it, too, and as with Sustained Energy or Perpetuem, one can mix
concentrated solutions and nurse the bottle for a long time,
supplementing with water.  I like that convenience.  Spitz seems to be
formulated with more micronutrients, but does it come unflavored?  I've
gained experience with chocolate only.

David Kamp
Corvallis