[ORRando] Fwd: [RUSA-Perms] Additional insurance for Volunteers and bike riders

Graham Ross ssormaharg at gmail.com
Sat May 4 20:22:55 PDT 2019

Hi Oregon Randos,
There is an email listserv for perm owners. A recent conversation about
insurance included a note from Dan Driscoll which was informative. With
Dan's permission I am relaying it to this list. The thread began on the
subject of personal liability coverage for perm owners, but Dan brought up
the subject of personal injury protection, which I thought might apply to
all of us.
Dan said...

All insurances companies and policies are different, so no one answer would
be correct.

I highly recommend that all perm owners and RUSA Volunteers call their
Insurance Agent and ask if you have any coverage for liability when hosting
these types of events. I have opted for a Substantial Umbrella Policy,
which is relatively cheap on a yearly basis, and covers much more than,
just liability for my RUSA Volunteering.

It may make a difference if you charge for your perms as opposed to not
charging, from a liability standpoint. I’ve chosen not to charge.

While you are on the phone with your insurance agent, be sure to ask them
about PIP (Personal Injury Protection insurance), which has noting to do
with the liability issue above, for being sued, but has everything to do
with riding bikes on the road. Most likely you have some, but probably not
as much as you should have.

If you get hit by a car and hurt, and it’s the cars fault, there could be
tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of
medical bills
and lost wages. The driver's insurance will not pay a dime of your medical
bills until you release them, which could be years down the road, in the
mean time you are on the hook for these expenses out of pocket. PIP will
pay immediately for almost any and everything, including lost
wages, deductibles and medical bills. Making a claim on your PIP cannot
raise your insurance rates. I found my PIP to be invaluable, but my limits
should have been much higher, I raised my limit shortly afterwards. PIP is
also very cheap on a yearly basis.

Also take the time to ask your agent about your UnInsured /
Underinsured Motorist part of your policy. If you get hit and they have
$25,000.00 worth of insurance or no insurance at all, and you have
$100,000.00 worth of expenses, that part of your policy will come in very
handy and again raising your current limit is not very much money on a
yearly basis.

Don’t ask me how I know, DanD

And here's me again...
Googling around, I have found pages that say Oregon mandates that $15k of
PIP coverage be included in all auto insurance policies. Apparently in
Washington State it is not mandatory. Oregon cyclists injured in Washington
will be covered by their own auto policy if they have one. If they don't
and the Washington driver didn't bother to buy PIP, then I don't know what
happens. Googling the words *personal injury protection oregon* returned
half a dozen seemingly useful links. It's complicated though. Talk to your
agent is probably good advice.

Graham Ross