[ORRando] Nighttime 200k perm

Susan France susan.m.france at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 09:48:57 PDT 2015

Congrats David on the 200 & 300 events. You are what we call "a fast guy".
I suspect you'll finish the "Edien's Gate 400" in a fast enough time that
sleep doesn't become a real issue. I'd guess somewhere in the 17-18 hour
timeframe.

For most people sleep problems occur just before sunrise or whenever they
fail to keep their brain alert by eating something. There are a lot of
people in ORR who are ultra cyclists who understand how the body and brain
reacts to lack of food and sleep.

Equipment is a different beasty. Just about every rando can help you there.

There are two (maybe more) 200k routes that are similar to the 2 400k
routes. Familiarity with a route also helps greatly the first time or two.
"Scio Covered Bridges" simulates the Eden's Gate 400.
http://www.rusa.org/cgi-bin/permview_GF.pl?permid=139

"Nestucca Rivers" simulates the Nehalem Nestucca 400.
http://www.rusa.org/cgi-bin/permview_GF.pl?permid=611

If you think you prefer to ride alone I encourage you to do so. Otherwise I
would seek out riders who have a similar pace to your own.

If you want to start closer to Portland, perhaps David Parsons can suggest
something that starts in SE PDX.

Susan.