[ORRando] Recreational bikeability of Newberg, OR

Cheryl Edwards cherylanneedwards at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 15:46:54 PST 2015

Sean,

I agree OR is much safer because of the common presence of cyclists
compared to most states.  We also live on top of Chehalem Mtn, just at the
Newberg border, Sherwood mailing.  I agree the cycling has been great out
here and was a main reason we wanted to live in this area 25 years ago when
we moved to our farm.  We are moving to Sisters this year and selling, so
if you are looking....we are listing...ha.  But seriously, from here we
bike to the coast on gorgeous back roads and we avoid Hwy 99 at all costs
and for the most part, you can make your way between towns on the back
roads once you know your way around.
You have also got to check out the riding in Central Oregon!
Welcome!!!!
Cheryl

On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Susan France <susan.m.france at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have lived on Chehalem Mtn just north of Newberg for 30 years. I would
> not think of moving anywhere else... but then perhaps I've learned the best
> ways and times to go anywhere.
> Susan.
>
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Sean Gordon <gordon.sean at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for sharing your experiences in the Newberg area Lynn and Keith.
>>
>> I noticed 99 has bike lanes, which the local shop told me was the safest
>> way to ride between towns, but that looks unpleasant in the dry and worse
>> in the wet.  I'd really like to commute year round; I used to run studs in
>> Rochester, NY so I think I can deal with the perma-rain.  I really want to
>> play on the weekends too though.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sean
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 4:43 PM, Keith Kohan <bike2work2live at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I lived in NY for many years and NJ for even more.  In my opinion there
>>> really is no comparison between NY and OR.  Anyplace and everyplace in OR
>>> is better for bicycling than NY.  Mostly due to the attitude of drivers and
>>> the far more common presence of cyclists in Oregon.
>>>
>>> Newberg has some very challenging roads with nice hills.  It also has a
>>> major highway that I prefer not to ride on.  In the not too distant future
>>> a road called the Dundee Bypass will be completed.  It is intended to take
>>> much of the North/South traffic out of downtown Newberg.  If it works I
>>> think it will open up the downtown to be much more bicycle friendly.
>>>
>>> Keith Kohan

*Pet Partners...tou**ching lives, improving health*
*NAAT.ORG <http://NAAT.ORG> - Saving lives through education*