[ORRando] Survey regarding economic impact of bicycle development in the Columbia Gorge

ryan good goodsterman at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 20 11:05:49 PST 2014

Hey bikey friends,

A colleague of mine is working on this survey. I'm guessing many or even most of you did some riding in the Gorge last year and are likely to this year- which makes you the target audience!

Forwarded:

We are conducting a study on the economic impact of bicycle infrastructure investments in the Gorge.  We have over 800 responses so far, but we’re trying to bump this up over 1,000 by the end of the month.  You could be of tremendous help if you could do one or both of the following:
a) Take the survey if you have ridden a bike somewhere in the Columbia River Gorge in 2013 (Open Survey Here)
b) Circulate this announcement (pasted below) with anyone who you think may have done this or through any email list or social media channel that could reach these folks

Travel Oregon would sure appreciate it.

As you may be aware there are exciting new bicycle projects underway in the Columbia River Gorge, and more on the drawing boards.  In 2013 almost two miles of paved trail was opened in the I-84 corridor completing the connection between Troutdale and Cascade Locks, and providing a much safer and more comfortable route for cyclists and pedestrians

More projects are in the works, including a new trail segment between Wyeth (Exit 51 on I-84) and Starvation Creek State Park (Exit 56 on I-84).  Future projects will include completion of the trail between Viento State Park and Hood River, allowing complete passage through the Gorge without ever having to ride or walk on the I-84 shoulder.  This last segment will include a tunnel, parking and other amenities and will have similar appeal to the Hatfield Trail east of Hood River.  These trails and improvements also provide more parking and access for Gorge area mountain biking trails.

Travel Oregon and the Friends of the Historic Columbia River Highway are supporting research to analyze the benefits of these bicycle enhancements.

If you have ridden a bike somewhere in the Columbia River Gorge during 2013
please help us by going to the link below and completing the questionnaire.

Take the Survey

The information you provide is not available from any other source and will be a vital part of the research project.  Your responses will be used for research purposes only and will be kept strictly confidential.