[ORRando] This weekend's 200K brevet in The Dalles

Susan Otcenas susan at teamestrogen.com
Wed Aug 13 18:11:46 PDT 2014

Not riding this weekend's 1000k?  Come ride Desert River Randonneurs Summer 200k instead!

A River Runs Through It is a brand new route I built on phenomenally beautiful, very quiet, rarely visited roads out of The Dalles.  Bring your climbing legs.   It's challenging, but if I can complete it (which I have, twice!) then so can you.   A complete ride report can be found on the DRR blog at <http://drrando.blogspot.com/2014/08/drr-summer-200k-river-runs-through-it.html> http://drrando.blogspot.com/2014/08/drr-summer-200k-river-runs-through-it.html

Along the way we'll visit Maryhill, Fulton Canyon, Moro, Grass Valley, the Deschutes River, Tygh Valley and Maupin.   On last weekend's pre-ride we enjoyed views of Hood, Jefferson, Rainier, Adams and St. Helens.  Remarkably low traffic roads are a real treat.

The weather is looking fabulous.  Expect temperatures to peak in the upper 80s, and possibly hit 90 on the climb out of Tygh Valley in the afternoon.  We took a swim in the Deschutes at mile 80, and cooled off in the shade under the misters at the control in Tygh Valley.   We'll have two volunteers on course with cold drinks and snacks to keep you well-watered and well-motivated.

If you plan to ride, please help me out by pre-registering at the blog link.   http://drrando.blogspot.com/2014/08/drr-summer-200k-river-runs-through-it.html  ?  I want to be sure to have enough control cards, cue sheets and supplies for everyone.

Quick link to the RWGPS map, for the curious: <http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3869269>

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/3869269

Hope to see some of you there!

Susan