No subject

Thu Jan 26 19:07:48 PST 2012

As most of you have undoubtedly heard, Don lost his battle with cancer.
> There is going to be a memorial service for him on Aug 11th at 1:17PM at
> the Garden house at 2336 15th Ave. South, Seattle. Don chose the date, the
> venue and designed the event, hoping of course, to be there on the first
> anniversary of his cancer diagnosis.
>

> It will be a potluck affair, with music and festivities. Bike people are
> requested to come in bike duds and ride over there if possible. :-)
>

> Check Facebook for remembrances of Don and how he touched all of our lives.

I am planning to attend the service and was wondering if anyone might be
driving up.  I have money for gas and can split driving duties if your car
is an automatic. Please contact me off list if you have a ride to share.

I met Don on my first Fleche ride in 2010.  Ed Groth and I shared a brunch
table with him. In contrast to our delirious state (having gone through the
night and arrived only just before the brunch), Don was animated, smiling,
and enthusiastic. He asked us where we were from and, when we answered that
we had come up from Portland, he said, "Great! When are we riding back?"

Honestly, I couldn't tell that he was being serious.  I laughed nervously
and told him we were taking the train.  When his team told their tall tails
from the ride, he was a funny and entertaining story teller, though I don't
remember what he said.  What I do remember is that, after the brunch, his
wife Mimi and I were talking and I mentioned his joke about riding back
with us to Portland.  She looked at me and said in a quiet voice, "Oh, and
he'd do it, too."

Two years later, Don missed the Fleche Brunch; he was dealing with cancer.
 I'd really hoped to see him again.  I don't think I told him so, but we
did ride back that time.  I don't know what drove Ed, Asta, and Kevin to
do such a thing, but that extra bit of crazy was inspired, for me, by Don.

Thanks,
-Theo

--047d7b2e52aed5c27204c54bac87