[ORRando] We should be outraged

Ken Bonner kenbonner at telus.net
Mon Jan 30 20:37:29 PST 2012

Hi, Susan!

Thank-you for bringing this incident to our attention.

This is appalling!   I sent my concern to the Polk County Administrator
<http://www.co.polk.or.us/contact> http://www.co.polk.or.us/contact
requesting that the Sheriff's Office and Prosecutor review this situation
with a view to laying the most severe charges possible; at a very minimum,
the equivalent of driving without due care and attention.   I also suggested
that the review might give consideration to the North American cycling
community, many of which spend many tourist dollars in Oregon.

I also stated that from my experience driving 18,000 miles a year; and,
cycling about the same amount, in British Columbia, Washington State, Oregon
& California, that with few exceptions, operators of full-size pick-up
trucks appear to be somewhat mentally-challenged, aggressive drivers.

A couple of years ago one of our B.C. randonneurs was struck by a car after
passing by the vehicle while it was stopped at a STOP sign.   This was in
California.  I don't know if charges were laid.   I understand the driver
claimed they did not see the cyclist, but I don't know if they claimed it
was because of weather conditions or not.   Another of our prominent local
(Victoria) randonneurs was dragged under a pick-up truck after it proceeded
through a red traffic light - apparently, his defense was that he did not
see the cyclist, or the red traffic light.

I hope the family of this cyclist gets a good lawyer to go after a VERY
large, punitive lawsuit.

.  Ken

Ken Bonner (RUSA #894; UMCA #1698; CKAP #1255; BC Randonneur #219)

2609 Orchard Avenue

Victoria, British Columbia

V8S 3B2

CANADA