[ORRando] A vote for Populaires

Susan Otcenas susan at teamestrogen.com
Mon Aug 20 13:18:11 PDT 2012

River City Bicycles posted this (below) on Facebook this morning.
It's so basic, yet we often forget these very simple concepts when we
are trying to encourage new(er) riders to try randonneuring.  (I
especially like points 4 & 5!)  To that end, I applaud SIR & it's active
volunteers for developing it's monthly populaire series in 2012, and
look forward to seeing more populaires on the 2013 Oregon calendar.

-Susan O.

---------------

Over the years I've been SLOWLY building up my 16 yr old daughter's
interest in biking, to the point where she really loves it, and has the
confidence to try more advanced rides. Yesterday she did her longest
ride, 58 miles on her single bike (as opposed to our tandem).

On my ride in today, I was thinking about all of the many steps we have
taken to get us to that point. At the risk of stating the obvious, I'm
going to go over a few things that could help you get people in your
life more into bikes- isn't that really one of the big joys of biking?

1. Leave them wanting more! In regards to importance, this should be the
first three points. There is no quicker way to discourage a new rider
than to take them out on too long of a ride, when they aren't nearly
ready for it. Their bottom will hurt, their legs will hurt, and they
will not have fun, or want to go again.

2. Stay away from hills. There will be time later when you can start
teaching them how to do hills comfortably, but do as little as possible
until they have built some fitness and confidence.

3. Never, ever, say 'hurry up! or try to get them to draft, or imply in
the least that it is much less of a ride than you are capable of. Have
them in front, especially on any hills.

4. Mix in ice cream stops, coffee shops, stop at any scenic spots you
can, encourage them to drink and eat regularly.

5. Try to find them someone who they can ride with who is at their own
level. It is super important for people to experience all the levels and
mini-triumphs of biking at the pace they are comfortable with. It's too
easy for experienced riders to forget how much of an accomplishment a 25
mile ride can (and should) be.

6. Introduce them to organized rides. Don't try a century first! (see
#1) There should be shorter alternatives that are very social, plenty of
food stops, and they will ride with a vast array of cyclists, some of
who are likely slower than they are. It will be a big confidence
booster. -Dave

Susan Otcenas
Team Estrogen, Inc.
www.TeamEstrogen.com <http://www.teamestrogen.com/>