[ORRando] Fwd: Tygh Valley Traveller 400K

Susan Otcenas susan at teamestrogen.com
Wed Aug 1 08:53:20 PDT 2012

In addition to carrying 3 bottles (which was enough for most of the
pre-riders, though we had cooler temps & I know David drank more), we
were careful to note the locations of water on the cue sheet.

Longest stretches between water:
MP69-MP87   Ripplebrook to Timothy Lake (Pine Point Campground). 18
miles. Fair amount of climbing in this section.
MP87-MP122 Pine Point to Walter's Corner Market.  35 miles.  Some
climbs, but lots of descending in this section.
MP148-MP184 Sportsmen's Pub to Government Camp - 36 miles.  Plenty of
climbing and likely to be warm.   I think this is the most important
section to carry extra fluids, particularly since some people may
already be behind on hydration!  (see note below)
MP195-MP228 Zig Zag to Troutdale. 33 miles.   Some climbing in here, but
it's cool & dark at this point.  I didn't even drink 2 bottles here.

We noted on the cue sheet the location of the "Sportmen's Pub & Grub" at
mile 148, 7 miles beyond Tygh Valley.  It's the last opportunity for
food & drink before Government Camp at mile 184.  (The Wamic Market
Store is closed.)     All of the pre-riders made Tygh Valley before the
store closed at 6pm, so none of us used the Sportsmen's. And, we had
cooler temps.  But, riders who reach Tygh Valley after 6pm (or even
those who made it in time but find themselves drinking alot) will
definitely want to stop at the Sportsmen's.    They seemed like a
friendly enough bunch.

Susan

Susan Otcenas
Team Estrogen, Inc.