[ORRando] Weekend Review

Lyn Gill pedalpusherlyn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 10:23:57 PDT 2010

Kudos to Susan and the beautiful route.  I still am in dreamland for the
magnificent beauty I observed.  Only with elevation gain can one take in
these views.  The big reward!  Being a fairly new SIR rando and branching
out for my 2nd ride in OR I feel like my OR roots have come full circle.  I
am hooked and will be back for more.

Lyn Gill

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 8:35 AM, David Strong <djstrong at fwcm.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The 300k Columbia Hills brevet was delightful.  Lovely roads, little to no
> traffic, great people!
>
> Highlights:
> 1) wind was not much of an issue
> 2) Trout Lake, the cafe/gas station/espresso bar is a jewel, worth
> visiting.  Some folks we met along the way, who live in Trout Lake suggested
> we stop and guided us to the espresso bar.  I had a Huckleberry milkshake,
> and a grilled cheese with tomato on White and Black toasted rye.  Sandwich
> was incredible, delicious bread, tasty tomatoes.  The shake hit the spot, a
> blend of huckleberries and homemade vanilla ice cream, 20 oz.
> 3) The combination garage/umpqua ice cream shop in Rowena.  Fellow restores
> classic Porsche's and serves delicious ice cream.
> 4) The old road 30 out and back along the gorge.  Thought it would be
> boring, far from it, with great, fun climbs and descents, and a multi use
> trail.
>
> Thanks to Susan for her tireless support.  Thanks to Del for his stories
> and great company.  It was a hot one.  I had planned on doing the 200k from
> Hood River to Timberline on Sunday.  Slept through the alarm (I use ear
> plugs), got a late start, and decided to just do half the route, I had to
> get to Ashland for a play on Sunday night, and did not feel like rushing.
>  So will have to come back up to see the second half of the permanent.
>
> Next up, a trip back east to visit family, and a brevet with the New
> England randonneurs on August 7.
> Back in Oregon for your 600k at the end of August.
>
> You guys have the best cycling,
> david

Lyn GIll
directline:  206.849.0311