[ORRando] Weekend Review

David Strong djstrong at fwcm.com
Tue Jul 27 08:35:14 PDT 2010

Hi All,

The 300k Columbia Hills brevet was delightful.  Lovely roads, little to no
traffic, great people!

Highlights:
1) wind was not much of an issue
2) Trout Lake, the cafe/gas station/espresso bar is a jewel, worth visiting.
 Some folks we met along the way, who live in Trout Lake suggested we stop
and guided us to the espresso bar.  I had a Huckleberry milkshake, and a
grilled cheese with tomato on White and Black toasted rye.  Sandwich was
incredible, delicious bread, tasty tomatoes.  The shake hit the spot, a
blend of huckleberries and homemade vanilla ice cream, 20 oz.
3) The combination garage/umpqua ice cream shop in Rowena.  Fellow restores
classic Porsche's and serves delicious ice cream.
4) The old road 30 out and back along the gorge.  Thought it would be
boring, far from it, with great, fun climbs and descents, and a multi use
trail.

Thanks to Susan for her tireless support.  Thanks to Del for his stories and
great company.  It was a hot one.  I had planned on doing the 200k from Hood
River to Timberline on Sunday.  Slept through the alarm (I use ear plugs),
got a late start, and decided to just do half the route, I had to get to
Ashland for a play on Sunday night, and did not feel like rushing.  So will
have to come back up to see the second half of the permanent.

Next up, a trip back east to visit family, and a brevet with the New England
randonneurs on August 7.
Back in Oregon for your 600k at the end of August.

You guys have the best cycling,
david