[ORRando] Willamette Headwaters 600K

Michael Wolfe cyclotouriste at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 18:57:09 PDT 2010

I'd just like to add a personal thank-you to Ray and Barbara Ogilvie, for
doing the registration before the ride and seeing the riders off.  It let me
and Allison sleep in a bit on Saturday, and meant we didn't have to drive
all the way down to Lebanon from Seattle in one go.

Running a 600 is about 8x harder than running a 300.  That it was even
possible at all is due strictly to the help that we got from everyone
mentioned above and below.  I am grateful that I got to do this ride two
weeks ago, and grateful that all their generosity made it possible for
everyone else to share it with me this weekend.  Between riding it and
running it, I'm not sure which was harder.  If you love randonneuring in
Oregon (and how could you not!? -- with all these great roads and this
fantastic scenery), I'd encourage you to pitch in to help Susan France or
whomever is the ride coordinator for at least one ride next year.

And a really fantastic job by the riders!  I did not oversell the difficulty
of the course, and yet everyone was uniformly enthusiastic about the ride,
even those who ended up having to DNF.  A big pat on the back to Jeff
Arasmith, who finished his first 600, and qualified for a Super Randonneur
award with 10 minutes to spare.

And I am not a sadist.  I think riding through a lovely forest somehow makes
me insensible to pain, is all.

-Michael