[ORRando] getting to Sandy by bike (tangentally related to the Barlow 300k)

david parsons orr-orc at pell.portland.or.us
Sun Sep 20 18:37:46 PDT 2009

I'm considering riding the Barlow 300k next weekend, but it means that I
need to wake up at ~3am to ride out to Sandy for the start (and then I
need to ride back to Portland after I stagger back into Sandy at 1:59.59
Sunday morning.)   My usual route out to Sandy from SE Portland is to
take the Springwater Trail from Sellwood to Boring, then 212, Orient
Drive, and Kelso out to Sandy.    The problem, possibly, is that Gresham
has helpfully placarded the Springwater Trail with "CLOSED FROM DUSK TO
DAWN" signs.

Does anyone know if they're serious about this?   And, if they are, if
there's a particularly good route out in the direction of Sandy that
would make a good pitch-black ride alternative (Foster Road is nice, but
laughingly shoulder-free, and a distressingly large number of my
encounters with idiots in automobiles has occurred along that road.)

-david parsons