[ORRando] Barlow Trail 300

Michael Wolfe cyclotouriste at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 10:31:14 PDT 2009

Hello fellow randonneurs,

I sent out an email about the Oregon Randonneurs' Barlow Trail 300k back in
July.  Unfortunately, I had to postpone the ride because it coincided with a
ferocious hot spell, and the ride was just too remote and challenging for me
to be comfortable putting it on.

The operative word is "postponed", however, and not "canceled".  The ride
was moved to September 26, and has been RUSA approved (it's not an ACP event
anymore).  I know a lot of you are done with your randonneuring seasons by
the end of September.  But if you haven't put your bike away yet, and are
interested in celebrating the hard-won fitness you earned in a summer of
riding, you should really think about coming out to Sandy, Oregon on the
last Saturday of September to do this ride.  As I said before, the route is
gorgeous, starting in the Willamette Valley, crossing the Cascades through
fir forests and along scenic rivers, to the high desert of the east, just
kissing the Deschutes River, climbing up through dry pine forests,
summitting Mt. Hood near the foot of a glacier, and finishing up with a 20
mile downhill run back to the start.  All that in just 300k!

The ride starts at the Sandy Best Western, and I have high hopes for good
weather.  I'll be there to run the ride on Saturday, September 26, and I
hope to see you there!

Here are my preride notes:
http://escapevelocipede.blogspot.com/2009/07/barlow-trail-300k-preride-notes.html

Here is the route on bike route toaster:
http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=40477

Here is the ride page on the OrRando web site:
http://www.orrandonneurs.org/rba/2009/Barlow300/Barlow300_Info.html

Michael Johnson and Josh Bryant rode the first quarter of the ride;
Michael's photos are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41335973@N00/sets/72157621778650380/