[ORRando] Barlow Trail 300 Pre-Ride

Michael Wolfe cyclotouriste at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 10:25:14 PDT 2009

Looks like you and Joshua had a good ride.  What you did was the cool, easy
part -- the desert in such conditions would be deadly.  Makes me glad I
postponed it.

Before you go asking for August 1st off, you should know that on that date,
Susan is going to just do one of her 300's -- either 3 capes again or a grab
bag of 100k combinations out of Newberg.  The Barlow Trail 300 will be
pushed back to September 26, and will be a RUSA event, pending approval.
We'll the new dates up on the site when everything's official.

Anvil Creek crossing was fine on a bent.  I walked the bike around the BMX
mounds on either side, and I actually rode the dirt down to the creek.  I
walked the bike up the other side, and then I was on my way.  I had 700x23
tires, and even that skinny, it just wasn't an issue.

I'm sorry you suffered on the way back to Estacada.  That's too bad, it's a
great stretch of road if you're not feeling like crap.  I would have
employed the Vincent Sikorski hydro-thermal cooling method (TM) and just
gone and sat in the river.  Getting under a water hose in Mitchell on the
XTR instantly made me able to eat and drink again.  You just need to bring
your temperature down.

-Michael