[ORRando] RAO

Ken Morton frogpirate at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 18:25:44 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Michael Wolfe <cyclotouriste at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping to race in Race Across Oregon and am looking for a couple
> stalwart assistants.  So far, I have one crew member (Bruce) who can help
> for Saturday and Saturday night, and my fiancee Allison can help for
> Sunday.  Allison will be driving out to replace Bruce on Sunday.  So that
> takes care of 1 crew member.  I just need 2 more, and if staying up for 40
> hours straight isn't your cup of tea, you can do a half shift, either going
> back into town with Bruce after Saturday night or by driving out with
> Allison to help me through the home stretch.
>
> The race takes place on July 11 and 12, 2009.  It starts in Hood River and
> finishes at Cooper Spur.  The plan is to drive out to Hood River on July 10
> and stay the night in hotel in Hood River.

Hi Michael!

I've raced RAO (2 person mixed, '05) and crewed (Solo Al Smudz, '06
DNF and '07 1st) and we were race HQ last year, taking phone calls and
posting to the blog. Let me say that crewing can be as much if not
more fun than riding! Now, '06 was rough - as you can imagine a DNF is
as hard on the crew as it is the rider - but '07 was a HOOT! It is a
great feeling of accomplishment to see "your" racer cross the finish
line, and the support itself think of as a cross country all night
trip, except you go in a big circle really slowly!

> I'm a strong racer, and I do a good job keeping myself going down the road.
> I'm just going to need folks to hand me food and water, lights, and moral
> support.  I'll pay all expenses happily, including gas, food, and hotel
> rooms in Hood River Friday (and Sunday, if need be).  There'll be some
> gorgeous scenery and exciting racing.  It won't be the same as pedaling the
> roads yourself, but the course covers some of the more spectacular and
> remote byways in Northern Oregon, and you'll get to enjoy them all the same.

And I can attest that Michael is a very strong racer, but then I bet
you guys already knew that. If my situation were a little more stable
(I was laid off 3 weeks ago, and I am looking for work anywhere
including a number of states away) I'd jump on this. Lisa and/or I
would be more than happy to talk to anyone about doing support. It's
really pretty easy, as long as you remember for those 36 hours (he'll
finish well under 40! ) it's ALL about the racer.

At any rate, Lisa and I will be rooting for you!

--
candyassllama Ken
http://tworao.blogspot.com/