[ORRando] John Kerry on a bike

Michael Rasmussen Michael at jamhome.us
Tue Sep 2 21:24:16 PDT 2008

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008/08/29/my-un-conventional-ride

Jonathan Vaughters

Excerpts:

Hunter introduced me to John Kerry one night and we decided to go riding.
Another ‘or’ out to show the world he’s ‘green’. But this is where my burned
out Gen X attitude got turned on its arse….

What I was expecting was the normal 12 mph dawdle with the Senator wearing
some ugly Bermuda shorts or whatever. However, when Senator Kerry showed up
at Slipstream HQ in Boulder, man, it was a different story.

First clue was he was excited to be wearing the cycling clothes he got from
us. (Yes, he bought them, regulatory agencies reading this.) The second big
clue was a race cut medium actually fit him well. The third clue was his legs
were shaved! Can you do that and still be a Senator??!

On to the ride. Immediately he bumped shoulders with me on the first corner
and thought nothing of it. Then he took the first 22 mph pull with me, side
by side, for a good 10 minutes. I was somewhat impressed, for sure, but of
course we still had some hills to go up. so I withheld judgement.

Chugging along at a fair clip, about halfway up to Jamestown, he had dropped
half the group and started asking me for ideas on how to improve some of the
anti-doping legislation he has been working to introduce into the Senate. Of
course I was so excited he had interest in this area, I spoke until I was
blue in the face. And he just about dropped me. Conversation at 280 watts at
6500 ft is not the easiest thing for me, much less a 65 year old guy with a
job like his.

JV and Senator John Kerry This guy was a real rider, with real knowledge of
racing. The riders, the history, the races, tactics, and the problems of the
sport. And he was fit as a champ. He kept chattering along and asking me a
multitude of well-thought out and knowledgeable questions about cycling as we
passed 7000 ft. He deftly rode out of the saddle and had quite a nice
pedalling style on the steeper grades. Truly impressive.

OK, but all this said, when we got to the top, I knew his undoing was at hand.
Descending is the enemy of people who have speeches to go to at night and
important jobs to go to in the morning. I have years of experience of riding
with sponsors and other folks with real jobs, so I know to take it easy on
the descents. Else they get hurt or, at the very least, their egos get a bit
bruised.

But man…O’ man… John Kerry descended like he stole the friggin’ bike from the
GOP. As we hit the first switchback, he immediately put his weight back,
counter-steered, and carved the corner like a pro. He put three bike lengths
on me like Magnus and Stuey used to do to me back on Credit Agricole. Unreal.
This guy was a pilot on the bike. Down the switchback of Lee Hill and over 90
kph and he was not phased… one bit.

And the dude can descend like a lunatic, so at he very least, I know he’s got
balls.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity

	[Quoted in "VMS Internals and Data Structures", V4.4, when
	 referring to scheduling.]