[OrRando] Re: Longview Bridge

Kamp, David david.kamp at hp.com
Wed Mar 26 15:52:10 PDT 2008

Well, Phillipe, I like that suggestion very very much.  How many PBPs in the northwest can we dream up?
So how many miles approx would PBP-Bend version be?  Lots of room for adjustments by where in Portland we start and finish, or for how big of a loop of Bend we make, for example.  Just kiss the border or loop the Century Lakes Drive for some additional scenery.  If we generate a catalog of Northwest PBPs, perhaps 600K is a good target, as 1200 k gets a bit unwieldy, organization-wise and participant-wise - too much organization and not very many participants.

Years ago there was this radical ultradistance touring group in So Cal called Wandervogel.  Now it wouldn't be so radical to ride bikes far.  They'd do something like San Francisco to Los Angeles (SFO to LAX, then fly home after loading bike in UHaul truck) over two days (200-250 mi/day) with overnight in San Luis Obispo.  Generally run by two or three crew people and a UHaul, fixing lunch and a couple of soda breaks, then they'd drive the bikes back to the bay area on Monday.  So maximum fun, about 50-60 riders, and minimum orgainzation (1 truck, crew of 3, lunch fixings, snacks, motel reservations, plane tickets, and bike shuttle).  Other rides, Fall Frolic (Sequoia and Kings Canyon parks), etc.  I'd like to revive the concept.  Those guys, Roger Wood and company, have grown up, married, and have little kids and other family obligations, so Wandervogel kind of withered.  Hope insurance and or legal matters don't mess things up.  The point is to ride in a SuperTour type manner.  http://supertour.home.att.net/  Maybe we can learn how to handle ins. etc through SuperTour folks, I know a few.

David Kamp