[ORRando] 300k REVISION

Michael Wolfe cyclotouriste at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 15:26:35 PDT 2008

I'm sending this to the OR Rando list and specifically to people who have
signed up for the 300 on August 2.  I have made an important change to this
ride.  The start location has been moved from Estacada to Maple Street Park
in Canby (tentative).  The ride will definitely start in Canby, however it's
possible that I might change the exact start point after the pre-ride.

This change was made for a couple reasons:

1.) It makes the ride easier.  Now the ride gets the big drainage crossings
out of the way at the beginning, rather than throwing them at you after
you've already done 150 miles.  This way, the ride finishes up with a nice
cruise up the Willamette Valley on Meridian Road.  Also, riders will have a
better chance to take advantage of the wind that blows up the Clackamas as
the day heats up.  Finally, in this format, the Ripplebrook Store will be
open to all but the very very fastest riders, giving another re-supply
option.

2.) It makes the ride safer.  I feel better about folks who finish in the
dark being on Meridian -- the roads between Canby and Estacada are extremely
quiet, but they're not as familiar, and there are some technical descents
that will be better done in daylight.

3.) The lodging options are better in Canby.  The Canby Country Inn looks
decent enough, and there are plenty of options in Wilsonville.

Let me know if you have any questions or objections.  Thanks,

-Michael