[ORRando] ORR 1000k

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Mon Jul 7 13:52:37 PDT 2008

6 riders started at 4 am Sat morning on their "see all the ORR brevet series in one long weekend" adventure. Two riders from CA, 2 from WA and 2 locals. I went out on the route on Sat night to check on the riders... Albert Kong and Greg Olson were on a mission to get to Wilsonville before the Subway closed. They probably made it. The other 4 rider were spread out along River Rd south of Salem around subset. They would probably make it to Wilsonville midnight-ish.  Two riders were already talking "riding through"... I met Albert on the second loop at bit after midnight to give him a patch kit and 2 patched tubes. (He'd had a double-flat during the day when he hit a big bump) When he went to patch his tubes at the motel, he discovered his glue was dried up. Not many patch kits in the coast range in the middle of the night!

That was the last I heard from the riders until today... yesterday I listened for the cell phone was I made a small dent on "cleaning the garage". This morning peddling into work I check the Best Western parking lot. A Washington sedan with a bike rack... good. Greg Olson's Ford "Barge-mobile" parked on Parkway... good. Marcello little green car parked at my workplace... good. Apparently everyone is doing OK. No phone calls is always good.

Before noon, I got a call. Albert was done (55+ hrs), he would leave his card (tubes & patch kit) at the Best Western for me to pick up on my pedal home.  One down, five to go.

Susan