[ORRando] Routes around Waldport and Yachats?

fitzbase at comcast.net fitzbase at comcast.net
Mon Jul 7 12:33:45 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I've got a friend who is looking for some information on the roads in the area.  He asks:

"I'm training with a couple of other guys for RAMROD at the end of July. One of us will be in Yachats this coming weekend, I will be in Waldport. We both need to do a good training ride (75-100 miles, 5000 feet of climbing or so). I've found info and maps Lincoln County Bicycle Routes on the Lincoln County site but the info tends to be a bit vague and discouraging.

The Portland Wheelmen club has a forum similar to Cascade, but it is very lightly used and most of the questions from out-of-towners have gone unanswered.

The Oregon Randonneurs site doesn't have a forum. Do you have any knowledge or advice regarding Oregon 34 (Alsea Highway), Lobster Creek Road, or Forest Road 53?

Or any advice on where we should try to ride? We're not keen on riding up and down 101, would prefer to get more climbing and less traffic. Oregon 34 is narrow and winding, no shoulder, but is it busy on a Saturday? Do people bike it anyway? "

Does anyone have any direct knowledge of this area?

Thanks,
Lynne F

ps.  The Timothy 200 is going to be AWESOME!  Register now!