[OrRando] All this dirty talk

fitzbase at comcast.net fitzbase at comcast.net
Fri Nov 2 13:13:18 PDT 2007

My order of preference:
dirt
non-loose gravel
sand over packed dirt
.
long stretches of loose gravel

If there is a steep downhill involved, they all get less preferable.  Although I have done the less-steep descent on the Banks-Vernonia on my mtb, clipped in the whole time.

Fire roads are fine.

Several years ago, while training for STP in a day, we took the Watermelon Ride and turned it into a 150 mile ride.  We found ourselves at the Buena Vista ferry crossing and... no ferry.  So after a consultation with someone's GPS, we took ourselves over to another loop on the route.  It involved dirt and gravel.  We all made it, cautiously.  Then, to get back to the loop we skipped, we were directed to a road "paved, no problem".  Not :-(  On 23mm tires, no less.  I'm sure we've all found ourselves there at one point or another.   (After THAT ride {headwinds}, STP was a relative piece of cake)

Lynne "stupid bicycle tricks; I've got lots" F

From: "David Rowe" <david.readytoride at gmail.com>