[OrRando] Insoles?

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Sat May 26 17:39:27 PDT 2007

In addition to having a delicate digestive system I also inherited my
father's wide, flat feet. I'm very prone to hot foot. The solution during
RAAM was that every time I was off the bike my feet (shoes and all) were in
a bucket of ice water. No very convenient for Randoing. Podiatrist told me
to blame my Dad but I simply did not have good feet for cycling and no
insole was going to help the sloppy structure of my feet.

I will get hot feet in anything over about 72 degrees. I switched to Shimano
Sandals over a decade ago. I buy them in bulk and keep them in the closet as
I wear them out. In the summer I like to put in an insole like a Dr Sholls
Blue Gel...the extra cush seems to help. Of course you'll always see me with
my insole hanging out the back or the front of my sandals... (maybe some
double sided tape is in order?) The insole breaks down after about 1 summer.
The sandals are nice because they a flatter than most cycling shoes...
better not to be wear a shoe shaped like a pair of stilettos if you get hot
feet! You can loosen them up as your feet swell, the air circulates better,
and, what I like best of all.... you can douse your feet with water from you
bottle or camelback without getting off the bike. I also have been known to
soak my feet (sandals & all) in roadside stream or under faucets. I can
guarantee the sandals hold up just fine.

Susan.