[OrRando] Nutrition (and rando old-school style? :) )

joel metz magpie at blackbirdsf.org
Wed May 23 20:44:34 PDT 2007

id go for a retro rando - but then im sure my ideas on it are fairly
clear, given that my ideas of energy drinks to be consumed during
rides are milkshakes and beer, and i ride in shorts, tshirts and wool
jerseys on a lugged steel bike with toeclips, friction shifting, and
12 speeds :) (and that i typically start brevets with a veritable
picnic basket of a bag full of bananas, pbj sandwiches and baguettes
filled with brie or tomatoes and avocado...)

ive also had fairly rotten luck with energy drinks, though - i have
an immense distaste for artificial flavors, so that means just about
all of them just leave me wanting to spit them out - and some much
worse (i had to dump my entire supply of apple-berry cytomax or
whatever it was on my sf-pdx ride in 2003 because it was trying to
make my insides leap out my mouth...)

but i also have the advantage of over a decade of wolfing down large
quantities of whatever food is available and then hopping back on the
bike immediately - another aspect of rando that messengering is good
"training" for :)

in all seriousness, even with what little experience i have with the
non-solid "food" and riding, it really is just a matter of keep
trying things until you find something that works. just dont try the
powdered bread flavor energy drink mix they were selling at some
controls on pbp 2003... ugh... it was a fit of desperation that shall
never again be repeated...

-joel