[OrRando] Nutrition

LynneF fitzbase at comcast.net
Wed May 23 20:34:42 PDT 2007

I suspect most of us started with, um, real food.  Lord knows I did.  In the
early 90's I rode with Real Frugal People, who Never Purchased Food On a
Ride.  PBJ sandwiches, bananas, Fritos, Fig Newtons.  Ok, Gatorade.  And
that was FINE until I started riding many miles in a day.  Nothing like
hitting mile 150 on STP in a Day, and staring at the food and thinking "that
is all too much trouble to eat" and knowing I had to choke something down,
or I wasn't going to be able to finish the ride.  Hammer Gel and Clif Shots
and Gatorade get me through times like that.  And watermelon, but there
isn't much in watermelon but flavor and water.

On shorter rides, I will eat normal food.  I prefer normal food.  But there
is very definitely a place for the easy to eat, easily digested fuel.

My RAO friends all swear by Perpetuem.  I haven't tried it, myself.

Lynne "my saddle isn't a Brooks, either" F

  _____