[OrRando] Nutrition

Michael Ford mcford100 at msn.com
Wed May 23 15:05:52 PDT 2007

I don't know, guys. This whole "liquid diet" thing seems to veer way beyond the definition of randonneuring (at least _my_ definition of randonneuring) and perilously close to the domain of ultra-distance racing, or something. To me, part of the pleasure of long-distance, self-supporting cycling is to be able to pop into that out-of-the way greasy spoon and sample some blueberry pie, or stop by a nearby Subway and get a six-incher with extra jalapenos. Even a brown banana out of a jersey pocket is, for me, 100 times preferable to a bottle of some packaged, powdered, chemical Franken-drink, and a simple 50/50 mixture of water and calcium-fortified OJ has probably 90% of the benefits of a commercial sports drink, lacking perhaps only the added protein (which I can get much more pleasurably from a peanut-butter sandwich in a ziploc bag).

Of course the key to successfully assimilating solid foods while riding is to nibble constantly, rather than eat an actual "meal" at any one time.

That said, I often bring along drink powders and/or packages of gel for supplements or emergencies. I rarely use them, however, and often end up throwing them away simply for reasons of expired shelf life. Somehow, randonneurs survived quite nicely without these products for a hundred years or so. Unless I qualify for RAAM (not!), I really don't see a need for them.

Mike
www.michaelcurtisford.com