[OrRando] Ye Olde Lighting Question

joel metz magpie at blackbirdsf.org
Thu May 3 18:52:27 PDT 2007

best hub generator? schmidt SON, hands down. ive owned 4 of them over
the past 10 years, currently i have 3 on bikes. the one on my old
work bike (messengering) has about 70k miles on it, and was a
replacement for the first one i had, which went about 65k miles
before getting too notchy to use - and that was a function of the
first generation design, which allowed water to seep in the casing,
whereas the current design has eliminated that (thus the current hub
with 70k miles and no real notchiness). the resistance is noticeably
less than with the shimano hub dynamos, and theyre just classy
looking to boot. i currently have them on my rando and touring bikes,
both with single e6 lights. my old work bike (which i rode pbp on in
2003) had one rigged to twin lumotecs. my current work bike has a
shimano dynohub rigged to a single lumotec.

as for lights, i rode pbp and all my brevets in 2003 with twin
lumotecs. this was *more* that enough light for my needs, and was,
frankly, more light that most people i ran into on pbp, except those
with supermegabright battery lights, which i actually find irritating
and distracting to have around me, especially when helmet-mounted.
grrr. :)

i currently have an e6 as the light on my rando bike, and have been
considering a secondary light for that bike - about the only things
id consider would be a nice dynamo-friendly led light, or maybe
another e6. if i went with the led type light, i would probably
switch it to primary and move the e6 down to a fork-tip mount for
surface illumination - currently the e6 is under the handlebar bag
rack, to the left of the wheel.

-joel

--
joel metz  : magpie at blackbirdsf.org :  http://www.blackbirdsf.org/