[OrRando] Snoozeville: an organizer's report

nate armbrust natearm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 14:31:45 PDT 2007

Thirty six brave souls tested their luck against the weather forecast
yesterday as they started the first official event on the 2007 Oregon
Randonneur calendar, the Snoozeville 100K populaire. This number is way up
from the 15 riders that we had for the event last year. The group assembled
and registered in the parking lot of the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse. After
some pre-ride instructions and a quick photo shoot they were off. We had a
couple of tandems on course; Mike and Bonnie on one and the Youngberg's on
their new purple Bike Friday tandem. Two people (Drew and Ira) were on bikes
they had built themselves. I'm sorry to report that there was only 1 fixed
gear on course, piloted by Steve White. C'mon people, last year we saw 20%
of the Snoozeville field riding fixed. Let's try to get that fixed gear
rider percentage up!

Riders were treated to a staffed Snoozeville control at 19.8 miles and then
another staffed control at Maggie's Buns at mile 47.3. At Maggie's, some of
the faster riders got their cards signed and moved on, while some decided to
take a break and have some food before tackling the last 15.5 miles to the
finish. I don't have a lot of details about what went on out on the course,
but everybody that finished seemed to have had a pretty good time. There was
a little rain toward the end of the ride, but nothing serious. Many
finishers chose to gather upstairs in Imbre Hall to refuel and rehydrate. A
nice way to end a nice ride. All total (including 3 pre-riders) we had 38 of
39 people successfully complete the ride. We had one reluctant DNF. He was
plagued by flats (5 on the day) and decided to call it in Forest Grove,
where he caught a bus home. I talked to him yesterday evening and he told me
he'd stopped by the bike shop on the way home and bought 2 new tires and
tire liners and he assured me he'd be back. That's the spirit!

Thanks to all of the volunteers and to all of the riders for getting the
season off to a great start. Results should be posted soon. Hope to see you
all for the 200K on March 31st.

Here is a link to my Snoozeville photo set on flickr :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/natearm/sets/72157594582762041/

-Nate