[OrRando] Re: Route help please

Del Scharffenberg dels at intersoftsystems.com
Tue Mar 6 15:24:14 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Rasmussen" <mikeraz at patch.com>

> A climb or two would be a good thing.  I'll have more potential to
> gain time if there are climbs involved.  It's all about improving time.
> The base level requirement is three miles of road on which I won't
> encounter cross traffic.

Michael,

My favorites would be the roads that travel along the rivers:

Marine Drive, although it might have heavy traffic at times.  Pick an
out-and-back to neutralize the wind.  World Masters Games time
trial was here.  And you can get a turnaround loop around Troutdale
Airport if you wish.

The old scenic highway between Troutdale and Springdale or Corbett.
Or Corbett towards Larch Mountain and back, the bottom section of
one of the classic area time trials.

And my favorite, Clackamas River Drive between Oregon City and
Carver.  Challenging rolling hills, nice river views.  Some people
don't feel comfortable with the traffic, but its usually not bad.  Just
take your lane because there is not much shoulder.

Clackamas River Road east of Estacada is also excellent, but
farther away.  Site of many OBRA time trials.

-- Del