R: [OrRando] Birkie...

Marcello Napolitano marcello at napolitano.com
Wed Apr 4 21:38:10 PDT 2007

This was my fist time seeing a brevet from the organizer's point of view. I
usually spend most of the time with the handful of people who ride at about
my speed, but this time I got to see and meet everyone, at one point or
another. It was a wonderful experience.

As Susan mentioned, we had 74 riders, including four recumbents, one tandem,
and two framebuilders riding their own creations. All 74 finished well
before sunset. We had rain showers on and off all morning, and many riders
ended up using their "Shower Pass Orange" jackets for most of the ride.
Everybody enjoyed the food and hospitality (and in one extreme case, dry
socks) at the Vernonia control. Later, more than one rider had a bite of
their favorite childhood candy bar at the Birkenfeld store. Back in Forest
Grove in the afternoon we were greeted by some nice warm sun, and I heard
tales of tailwind on the way back from Timber from most of the riders.

I want to thank Kathy, Cathy, Barbara and Susan, for helping throughout the
event. We couldn't have a successful event like this without the support of
wonderful volunteers like you.

A couple of ride reports...

http://lynnerides.blogspot.com/2007/04/birkie-brevet-mar-31-2007.html
http://escapevelocipede.blogspot.com/2007/04/3312007-birkenfeld-200k.html

And pictures...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecilanne_r-s/sets/72157600040718397/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/natearm/sets/72157600040246742/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/readytoride/442084776/in/set-72157594235629787/

I look forward to another great ride in less than two weeks! Get your lights
and reflective gear ready for the 300k!

Marcello