[OrRando] Budget lighting options

nate armbrust natearm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 07:50:25 PDT 2006

Generator systems can be very expensive. But they can also be pretty
reasonable.

A Schmidt hub and an E6 lamp will cost you about $300 (plus rim, spokes and
build).

But you can get a Shimano DH-3N71 dynohub and a standard Lumotec lamp for
around $125. Build that into a reasonably priced strong rim (Like a mavic
MA-3) and you've got yourself a good reliable light system and a great new
front wheel for about the same price as a decent rechargeable battery
powered halogen lamp.

I tried a lot of battery powered lights before I finally made the plunge and
set up a dynohub. I wish that I had done it much earlier.

Nate