[OrRando] Wine Country Populaire

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Sun Nov 19 13:58:29 PST 2006

Cuesheet has been updated and finalized. If you haven't yet registered, do.
The weather looks to be on the dry side after a work week of showers.

I prerode the route Sat. It was dry except for some damp fog in the morning.
Within 10 miles the raincoat was off and I remained perfectly comfortable
the remainder of the day in my wool jersey with 2 thin layers beneath,
knickers with wool longjohns, toe covers, light earband, and thin gloves.

The route first goes to Stringtown Rd. Remember not to shortcut the route
just because you know a better way to Stringtown Rd. You'll be sorry you did
so.

Montimore Vineyards is on the right just before Dilley. They were trimming
vines with a big ole vine-trimming machine as I passed. The route differs
after leaving Dilley. Head to Cherry Grove through Patton Valley. This is a
nice out and back road that really doesn't go anywhere so there's not much
in the way of traffic. A black lab might jump out at you at mile 15, "get
home" pretty much all that is needed. There is an info control in Cherry
Grove. Don't forget to bring a pencil to write the answer on your card.

Gaston, is a good place to stock up if you need any food, water, coffee or
bathroom. A couple blocks straight ahead past the left hand turn is the
market. They have restrooms in the back if you ask. Drive through coffee
shack marks the turn out of town.

Another info control on Laughlin Rd. either an info control or sticker to
place on your card. If you think you'll be able to get a sticker on the
return trip... you'll be sorry. We have route fairies who cleverly remove
such things after the last riders pass through. You'll pass a couple more
vineyards on Laughlin Rd.

Yamhill has a market and couple cafes.

Carlton has plenty to offer. They seem to be reinventing the town. There are
at least 3 tasting rooms and I suspect I missed a few. There is a few cafes.
I usually stop at the Penguin Cafe on the left whenever I need to stop...but
Lafayette awaits. More wineries leaving town.

Lafayette is an open control. Favorite places in town include the small
Mexican place (Lucy's?) on the left just a block straight past the Bridge St
turn (you'll need to double back) This small restaurant is surprisingly fast
to whip up some great food. Since I carry all my food I usually opt for the
new Shell station near Lincoln. Mike's Market on Bridge St used to be the
only option in town but it's pretty dumpy. The Shell station has a clean
restroom and a nice kitchen sink to refill your bottles. Cheap coffee with
self-dispensed creamer to make it palatable. Clif bars and Little Debbie
Snacks. What more could one need?

Leaving Lafayette, Abbey Rd should be quiet...it used to be quiet...nowadays
everyone is on their way to a fire. Two B&Bs and more wineries. You pass the
Trappist Abbey (Fruitcake is their specialty.)

North Valley, Springhill and Fern Hill are wetland areas. You'll likely be
entertained at the stopover for migrating waterfowl as you make your way
back to the Grand Lodge.

Distance is 112km (70miles), elevation gain 3300.

Dinner reservations are at 4pm in the dining room. Bring a change of
clothes, towel, swimsuit and take advantage of the "hot soaking pool". Pay
$5 at the front desk for a key. Show your dinner receipt after dinner and
they'll return your $5. What a deal.