[OrRando] 400K ride report

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Fri May 26 10:43:50 PDT 2006

I was surprised to see you all downing those tacos in Independence. My
stomach has always behaved differently from the norm on long rides... I
cannot handle real food and tacos would probably send me into serious
distress.  I had some significant eating issues the last 100k of the 400k
preride. Nauseous the whole time and managed to force down a total of 500
calories based on my calculations. We sat in a Shari's in Salem and it took
me nearly 1 hour to eat 1/2 piece of toast. This was not "normal" for me to
have nutritional problems (maybe the heat, maybe the chips I purchased in
Harrisburg, maybe riding too hard in the heat during the day). But I just
kept remembering that I'd seen Del go hours without being to keep any food
in his stomach on his second 508.  I had more trouble on the last 100k of
the preride than I had in all of RAAM 15 years ago.

But I did get beyond my 300k curse. I didn't get sleepy. I didn't mess up a
knee. I did have to stop in Sweet Home and purchase a 1/2lb of socket &
ratchet to tighten up my crank... which reminds me I need to find out why my
crank has loosened up 3 times in the last 2 weeks.  I did come home with too
many bags of Spiz in my bag.

Eric Vigoren is a patient riding companion.

You guys all did great.

Susan.