[OrRando] Eden's Gate 200k

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Mon May 15 18:42:26 PDT 2006

I rode the southern part of the Eden's Gate 200 today. Yes it was a tad
"warm". By the time I finished it was 95 and humid (irrigation!). On the
drive home my thermometer hit 100. Lots of fine agricultural roads. I often
had the roads to myself on this southern section. Some folks with allergies
might want to have medications. I noticed some field cutting going on, gorse
is blooming, wild roses, orange and yellow poppies, lots of red clover
fields.

Stayton to Scio: Cole School Rd. Two monster rollers. The second was a
walker for me. Probably 15-17%. Short distance to the top.

Schmenkel Bridge is 1 mile from the downhill. The newest of the covered
bridges.

Scio (Open Control): "Covered Bridge Coffee House" Nice place for coffee,
bakery, breakfast items and ICE CREAM. Lime Green walls in the Rest rooms.
Right next to the Scio market over the steel bridge. Scio will be busy this
weekend with the Sheepherders Fair.

Huffman Bridge: This is the second covered bridge you come to. There is a
Barn Owl living inside. The first person there is likely in for a treat. Get
camera ready!

Crabtree: Changing to an info control. The Crabtree Tavern offers up only
hamburgers and fried ham & cheese sandwiches etc. Absolutely nothing my
stomach could handle while riding.

Gilkey Bridge: 3rd bridge. Today was hot and I found the ditch to the left
of the bridge a great place to soak my feet. If I'd had spare shorts I might
have jumped in.

Turner. I started and stopped here. Turner market is a fine place to stop
for drinks and food. It's a real market so you can find a few fruits in the
fridge too. They do have restrooms for their customers. The bench out front
in the shade was a welcome sight.

Cheers,
Susan.

PS 400k Route will be preridden on Thurs... Though I have driven the entire
route.