[OrRando] cranksets: compact double vs. triple chainring

joel metz magpie at blackbirdsf.org
Mon May 15 08:03:36 PDT 2006

ok - more opinionated, and simultaneously vague rambling! :)

*personally*, im quite fond of wide-range double
chainwheels and 6-speed freewheels. of course,
this really only works well with old parts - new
front derailleurs cant handle the big jumps in
chainwheels (my rando bike is 51/36 currently,
and my touring bike is 48/44/26), and well,
6-speed freewheels (which make it possible to
crossover gears without too much chainline
lameness) are just old :) but it does mean i can
mix and match components at will. right now i
have a huret front derailler, ta cranks, suntour
rear derailleur and freewheel, and simplex
shifters. oh, and some chain.

i have downtube shifters on my rando bike, but
ive no preference between them and barends. i
havent used sti/ergo for any length of time, but
my general attitude towards it is that while it
works great, its more of a racing component than
a rando one... but you should use whatever
shifting setup youre most comfortable with, and
is most auto-pilot for you.

with modern components, id probably run the
widest-range double i could run with a wide-range
cassette, unless i was planning lots of really
hilly stuff, and then i might try the triple with
reasonably closely paired middle and big
chainwheels, and a low granny, and less of a
wide-range freewheel.

i think *any* of the 105/ultegra/dura-ace gruppos
would be fine - some might say dura ace would be
overkill, and i might be inclined to agree, but
hey, no harm in buying the best components you
can comfortably afford. you certainly dont *need*
top-end parts - you simply need reliable, proven
parts, ones that work, and work consistantly -
which would make a lot of peope point at the
mid-range gruppos like ultegra and 105 (and
whatever campy calls their midrange stuff these
days)

but again, im perfectly happy using used parts -
heck, a good bit of the stuff on my bike is as
old as, or older than, i am...

generally most of the pros and cons of most of
these parts are on a personal level, not
universal... think about how you might set up a
touring rig, then think about youd set up a road
racing rig - and then plop yourself down
somewhere in the middle, and youve probably got a
range of decent rando setups to choose from...

-joel