[OrRando] new bicycle recommendations

Michael Ford mcford100 at msn.com
Tue May 9 20:34:38 PDT 2006

The questions you ask would take a book to answer, and even then, most people would probably disagree! For instance, you didn't even mention the frame material that I, and a lot of other distance riders would recommend--steel. Also, of great importance for long distance is a bike with a fork wide enough to accept fenders, which pretty much precludes most carbon frames/forks. One good source of information (though it is sometimes difficult to filter out from uninformed opinion), is the user forums at www.bicycling.com. Click on "communities," then on "forums," and then you'll see a range of different topics: Tour de France, Maintenance, Fitness, etc. The two that might be of most interest to you are "Buying," and "Long Distance."

You would also do well to develop a trusted relationship with a bike shop that values and supports distance riding, with all its unique requirements. Harder than it sounds. If you tell us your city, members can probably give you suggestions.

Good luck, and have fun picking a new bike!

Mike
www.michaelcurtisford.com