[OrRando] Woodburn Heatburn Recap..

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Tue Mar 21 12:26:46 PST 2006

Perfect weather described the day. The prerides were not so fortunate. 21
starters, 21 finishers (including 2 prerides).

A few riders from one of Del's teams, the Nomads, joined the regular randos.
One training for an ironman decided to pull anyone who could hold on for
miles on end. Roger Premoe (Seattle) and Jack Fortune (Eugene) joined the
group for the first time. The Bingle tandem was back. We had the trio of
Tony, Ira & Joel join us late, taking the train from downtown and riding to
the start. They took full advantage of the Heartburn aspect of the ride,
sitting down at Mendoza's in Woodburn for tacos & enchilada platters. Those
of us who met this trio oggled their bicycles... they build em, and
apparently Tony just won an award at NAHBS. It's not often I see riders who
are so much a part of their bicycles. Everything so casual and effortless.

Nate was all smiles, as usual, apparently my question about the purple house
at Champoeg Winery wouldn't have stumped him, he lived there once. Michael
Wolfe is training for a recumbent team RAO this summer, but gave the
recumbent a break this day. Barbara was back, I hadn't seen her since our
300k last year. John's going for a Can-Am this year. Bert is going for as
many SRs as possible...(4?). Marcello has a 1000k planned in Italy.

Most refreshed and refueled at the pub afterwards. Elev gain reported
between 3400-3700... I wouldn't have guessed that...but these are roads I
ride all the time.

Send Michael a link to any ride reports...
I had a few photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/orrando