[OrRando] Perms for hot weather...

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Sat Jul 22 12:56:43 PDT 2006

I recommend a few perms during hot weather.. no surprise they go to the
coast.

Grand Ronde-Siletz... probably my favorite. I did it on Wednesday (have to
get at least one 200k in July) The roads are usually quiet until you get to
Lincoln City if you leave early morning. I had a tailwind too. Lincoln City
& Newport and busy, but if you don't need to go through the main section of
town you can alternate routes. Otter Crest Loop is wonderful. I wish the
entire coastal route was so perfect: quiet, smooth, scenic. Yaquina Bay
road...nother quiet rd. Be sure to stop at the DQ at Siletz Hwy & Hwy 20
junction. Siletz Hwy. Not so bad to Siletz... after Siletz, another scenic,
follow a river, lightly traveled road. All of Siletz Hwy from Siletz to hwy
101 junction is now repaved and smooth as glass...you won't mind the slight
headwinds. Hwy 101 north to junction 18... Brutal headwinds but you have to
pay your dues sometime. Hwy 18 back to Grand Ronde... more tailwinds.
Overall the winds work in your favor during most summer days. Hwy 18 on
weekdays after 5pm is fairly quiet. Sundays are a nightmare as far as the
traffic noise.

Capes and Cows... starts in Nehalem... 2 loops.. you head south on the
coastal route and north on the inland routes, so the winds are generally in
your favor.

Clatskanie-Cape Disappointment. Traffic and wind patterns are similar to
Grand Ronde- Siletz. You might have tailwinds the majority of the route. At
the very least the winds heading to the coast are lighter than the winds
returning from in the afternoons.

Three Capes 300.