[OrRando] Mt. Adams 200k this weekend

John Kramer jckramer at gorge.net
Tue Jul 11 07:04:05 PDT 2006

This is a note to randonneurs who are interested in riding the Oregon
200k, Mt. Adams South by Southwest this weekend on July 15th in Home
Valley, Washington. Please fill out a registration at the website or
send me a note. I also have a hotel room that sleeps 8 if you need a
place to stay (let me know). It is a quarter mile from the start. Here
are some preride notes and recommendations from Bert who pre-rode the
course last weekend.

Wow! What a ride. It is spectacularly scenic. Has some wonderful climbs
and left me feeling like I’d done something. You have done a great job
pulling the best local pieces from the 3 volcanoes and the c1200. And it
definitely has the SIR feel to it. I started at 5:35 am and finished at
5:35 pm. GPS says 7979 ft of climbing but it felt like more to me. It
took a little over an hour to drive to Happy Valley from my place. You
should encourage folks to bring cameras. The wild flowers and meadows
and Mt views are really good. You may want to suggest that folks bring 4
water bottles. It was hot today and I drank all 4 of my bottles between
Trout Lake and Lower Falls and again between Lower Falls and Happy
Valley. Maybe it is just me but better safe than sorry. And lots of
food. As you know, there is nothing after Trout Lake. I almost ran out
of time. I was just enjoying the ride and thought I had lots of time.
The info controls don’t have close times. At one point, I did a little
math and decided I better get moving. There is a lot of time spent
climbing and the lower speed threw me off. Again, maybe just my problem
but you might mention that to the riders. This is a much different 200
than the flat ones that some of the ORR folks are used to. Here are some
comments on the cue sheet: At mile 38.4 you say Left on Latimer Rd.
Signage at the intersection says Sunnyside Rd. Looks like it is Latimer
south of the intersection. At mile 38.7, you say Left on Trout Lake
Glenwood Rd. Signage at the T intersection is a little ambiguous. The
clearest way to say it would be to turn left to Trout Lake. The map says
the name of the road is Trout Lake Hwy to the right of the intersection
and Glenwood Rd to the left. It is clearly marked as Sunnyside on a
number of occasions as you approach Mt Adams Hwy. Mt Adams Hwy is signed
as Mt Adams REC Hwy . At mile 81.1, enter the campground and the water
is the first left and then on the right. I ran into someone who was
going to the water and he showed me the way. Might have spent extra time
trying to figure out where it was.At mile 109.2, you say to turn left on
Mineral Springs Rd. It is a T intersection and a sign points to Carson
and SR 14 to the left. I didn’t see Mineral Springs Rd. Maybe it is
signed there, but the map shows it a bit to the north and then west not
intersecting with Wind River Rd. Signage all the way to Carson
identifies the road I was on as Wind River Rd. Turns at the end and
mileage matched the cue sheet.

Ride Info: http://www.orrandonneurs.org/brevets/2006_SxSW_Info.html
Route Sheet: http://www.orrandonneurs.org/brevets/2006_SxSW_RidePack.pdf