[OrRando] Ride Report - Snoozeville - 2/18/2006

David Rowe david.readytoride at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 00:32:40 PST 2006

  *Route***

Snoozeville Populaire #108
  *Date*

218/2006

*Checkpoint***

*Time***

*Wind***

*Gusts***

*Temp***

*Comments***

Longbottoms Coffee

12:14

20

26

36

Ran into Rick Smith & Co., who enjoying coffee at LB's.  They laughed when I
told them my route - said on their return trip from Gaston, they were making
maybe 10mph - pedalling hard into the wind. I rolled out of the lot at at
12:15.  The stream beds were still frozen solid.

Dairy Creek Road

1:17

22

30

37

Stripped off the fleece vest and wind shell at the info control. Then headed
out another 2 miles on Dairy Creek. When reaching into my bag for a snack, I
saw a "U" on the map. Oops. I turned around and headed back.  Poor map
reading added 4 miles and 20 minutes to my trip.

Forest Grove

3:10

16

22

39

Dairy Creek to Gaston was the most scenic and varied portion of this
Populaire.  Filled the water bottle, took a half-sandwich out of my saddle
bag, and pedalled away from Maggies Buns. I ate on the road.

Gaston

3:35

16

24

38

The NE wind was firmly on my back as I raced out to Gaston, fastest leg of
the day.  Too bad I overshot the right turn off of Hwy 47...  rode down to
Patton Road before giving up on finding Gaston Rd. I turned around, rode
back to town and turned down Main Street - which I recalled seeing Mike take
last weekend when I did this leg with him. That little detour added another
mile to my ride.

Longbottoms Coffee

5:14

12

12

37

This is the part when I recalled Rick Smith laughing back at Longbottoms ...
the ride back was a 20-mile death march straight into the NE wind. I learned
that evening, when I was checking the wind speed at Hillsboro, that it had
died 12 mph when I was making my way back. Even so, my speed ranged from 9.5-
12.5 the entire way.  I can ride up to Government Camp at 8mph ...  serious
mental challenge.  And, it was cold.  Put the shell and heavy gloves back on
- and  it was like being inside by the fire. (I'm kidding.)

 Total Miles ridden: 67.5. Total Ride Time: 5 hours.

On the whole, a pretty good pre-season cyclotour. Would definitely have
finished in 4.5 hours if I could read a map... Four hours may be possible
one day this summer - I'm going to find out.

--
Visit my Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/readytoride