[OrRando] What if Floyd Landis were innocent?

joel metz magpie at blackbirdsf.org
Wed Aug 30 09:40:19 PDT 2006

dont thank me - thank david rowe, who originally posted the link... i
sloppily quoted :)

i personally tend to think that floyd is quite possibly innocent, but
i have no illusions about the state of doping in the pro peloton -
very little would surprise me.

what alarms me is the tack which is taken in these cases - the leaks
to the press, the questionable history of the labs involved, the
risks of false positives in some of the tests used - and the
witch-hunt attitude of dick pound and wada, as well as the uci. in
their drive to "clean up the sport", they seem to be willing to
sacrifice potentially innocent people by prematurely releasing
results, making announcements that prematurely convict the accused,
etc etc...

and then theres the media, who not only pick up on the most unlikely
of explanations (landis having a drink, hamilton having a vanishing
twin) that were offerred as potential, if highly unlikely,
explanations by the riders accused - but who sometimes blatantly
misrepresent the facts in the case. i am completely fed up with
reports that landis tested positive for elevated levels of
testosterone. he tested for an abnormal testosterone:epitestosterone
ratio, with a *normal* level of testosterone - ie his epitestosterone
was *low*. theyre starting to straighten that one out, but the damage
has already been done.

i dont doubt that it is indeed possible for landis to have doped. but
even more than that possibility, what bothers me is the complete
shambles the anti-doping system is, both in its actual test
methodology, and in its respect for the riders careers and rights.

-joel