[OrRando] I know what I want

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Sat Apr 15 08:45:35 PDT 2006

Since my wiring failed I thought someone elses might have too. Some of the
abuses Joel puts his work bike through sound similar to mine... releasing
the QR and forgetting the wire is still connected, grabbing the wire rather
than the connector when you're in a hurry etc. I figured I
disconnect/connect my wheel 3-4x a week, 52 weeks a year, for 1.5
years...some of them careful, some not so.

My problem had nothing to do with water... it has a lot to do with
usability/abus-abilty.

I want something that connects to both connectors at once, something that I
can grab... Frankly, 2 tiny connectors don't fit the bill. And abusing 2
tiny connectors did cause failure... eventually.

So I resoldered the non-standard size connector back on, installed shrink
tubing, then mounted (crazy glued) the 2 connectors to a piece of thin
plastic (1/2 x 1 inch), then shrink tubed that. It now has the "feel" of
what I wanted... it just slips on and off the connectors like I want. It's
usable. Now to make it more "abusable".

I'll be carrying a couple of spare connectors in my little box of goodies...
nuts/bolts/seatbolt/fender bolts etc. With wires already soldered and
stripped!

Always prepared