[OrRando] i am now prepped for the nighttime populaire...

Bert Lutz bert_lutz at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 13 11:34:54 PDT 2006

Well, the fleche was my test bed for my new lights and there is some good
news and bad news.

The good news is that I really like the d'Lumotec Topal (primary) and E6
combo.  The Topal led lights up the "near" world with LOTS of light.  Almost
tempted to put on some shades,  ;-)  It also kicks in at about 3 mph which
was really nice at 3am climbing in the rain.  The stand light is bright and
seems to work for about 5 minutes.  It also has an auto sensing feature that
turns on the light at dusk.  At dawn the light goes off and unfortunately,
occasionally as a car approaches from the rear where the sensor is located.
;-).  The E6 throws a much more focused beam with a longer reach once I get
moving and the 2 are a good together.

The bad news is that both of my lights died on the fleche.  The Topal came
back after an hour or so and the E6 is now working again several days later.
I suspect that the issue was a water induced short and although I soldered
and sealed all the splices, I must have missed something.  There was a LOT
of rain on the fleche so this may be an aberration.  I have also seen one
post on a message board that the Topal is not as weather proof as the E6.
Anyway, I had a spare EL500 as a backup and that saved the day.