[OrRando] joels 200k "report" now up, with pictures...

Susan France susanfrance at teleport.com
Tue Apr 4 07:57:11 PDT 2006

What a super report. Of course I thought the bikepath to Tophill was the
highlight too. Sylvia Shiroyama and Bill Pence also took the trail to
Tophill, but they'd not read my preride email...so they wondered just what
I'd gotten them into. Whoops, guess I should have added the comment that it
turns to single-track after Beaver Cr Trailhead.

Doing the entire B-V bikepath is a treat. After Tophill it switches to the
other side of 47 and a couple miles beyond that heads downhill. Since it's
an old railroad bed it's always a gentle grade. I've always thought the
section between Beaver Creek and Tophill was the most difficult section for
us who are uncoordinated and who have to dismount when the stuff gets muddy
and soft. Eventually the path turns back to pave near Buxton, then you have
to take a couple miles of gravel road before you get back on the paved
section everyone rode between Manning and Banks. I hope when they complete
the new State Park that they also pave this entire path... then there would
be no reason to have bikes on Hwy 47 between Vernonia and Banks...which,
while a perfect fine section of hwy to ride, always seems to be patrolled by
irate rednecks (as was Duane's experience on this ride)

Susan.